Wednesday, May 6, 2015

A Cold and Windy Adventure (and How I Held My Hair High...)

Well, I haven't updated in a while (I'll get to that) and last Saturday I was able to attend a local historical event called The Gathering at Macktown. We have participated in this event in past years, but lately haven't been able to stay for the whole weekend. This has been for a variety of reasons, many of which relate to why I haven't written in a bit, too.

As to the not writing thing- I've been prodigious busy with Master's courses, work, and then getting ready for this summer. If you follow the blog facebook page it's probably old news to you, but I'm very fortunate to have been selected to intern this summer at the Margaret Hunter Shop in Colonial Williamsburg. I'm very excited for the experience, but also have a whole ton of sewing to get finished in preparation. One month before I depart. Yikes!

Anyhow, the trip was chilly, damp, and rather windy. But I didn't let that stop me. 



I made a new hair cushion Saturday morning and dressed my hair.

New Cushion
Almost done

Put a bird on it! Or, in absence of
a bird, a ribbon. It makes everything
better. =)
It was a little messy, but hey- I had to do this on my own, so what do you want? I wore my new neck handkerchief with my gown, even though it wasn't completed finished being hemmed (it was, at least, basted) but if you know me you know that I'm constantly wearing things before they are 100% finished. Because life's too short. 

Cushion, hair, cap. Hankie. 
I'm still figuring out how to work the whole crossover tie in a bow in back thing. It's trickier than it looks. At least for me. If it wasn't tricky for you, just let me live in my own little happy land for awhile before you crush me with your "oh, I didn't think it was that bad" okay?!

I also threw on my Therese, which was actually a poor choice. The wind was so bad I could scarce keep it on my head even when pinned into my cushion.

A rare moment inside a tent where it
was calmer sailing. I wish I would have
 taken a picture with the cap underneath.
It was prettier I think.

From behind with
hood down.
Love the green silk! (It's from B&T.)

My hood isn't *technically* all the way finished yet, either. But I couldn't resist the opportunity to try it out. I am working on finishing all of my UFOs before June, so we'll see how far I can get. I have to say that my hair held up really well. I used a mix of my own pomatum and some from Abby via Heirloom Haircare. Same with the powder (a mix). She doesn't carry as many varieties as Alicia at LBCC but I particularly like that the powder isn't lavender scented (as I'm not a very huge fan of the smell of lavender.)

I will be getting around to an official review soon, but here's a look at how my hair held up over the course of the day and the ride home.)
Not bad, eh? A couple of whispies from my bottom rolls but
still mostly in place.
Overall, we had a really nice time and even though we weren't able to stay for supper (baby Cora was ready to get out of the weather!) we were able to see friends and socialize at least a little bit.

Thankfully, spring courses are over and I will only have one four week class to worry about while I am away at my internship. We have one event which I will be able to actually attend for the whole weekend, have no homework, and be free of any obligation before I leave in June. I'm actually very excited at the prospect. I'm going to sleep in, dress my hair, sew some trim, and not feel a bit guilty about it. I can't wait. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would sincerely love to hear your thoughts on all this, so please feel welcome to comment here :-)